Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Worship Focus for the Tenth Week after Pentecost: Tuning into the Sound of God's Heart


Today's Scriptures (Lectionary)
Genesis 28:10-19a, Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24, Romans 8:12-25, Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43


Recently our church has been studying the redemptive gifts (Found in Romans; Prophet, Servant, Teacher, Exhorter, Giver, Rular, and Mercy). The staff and leaders have been at it a little longer and so I have had a little more time to explore my gift, which is "mercy."

The other day, I half jokingly told Pastor Kevin that this gift of mercy sucks. I know that God is preparing my heart for ministry that I am not yet ready. In the process, I find myself being drawn into ministry situations that are extremely painful. I spend a lot more time in intercessory prayer. And worse off, I am turning into a cry baby. Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not spending my days just blubbering. But in discovering the heart of God, it is painful and it sometimes only finds expression through tears, which I am coming to know is a form of intercessory prayer.

Take a look at this scripture, followed by a poem I wrote Tuesday morning. One of the sounds which flows from the heart of God is a groan.

When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ--if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him. I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. Romans 8:15-25 (NRSV)

Groaning
By J. Brooke Fenwick
July 2008

Groaning
Longing
Frustrated by the wait
How long O Lord!?
The pain so thick
Like weeds woven throughout the soil of everything
Relief, please!
Need it now! Demand it now!
Running from You in anger
Reaching for the pill on the shelf
For just a moment of relief
From the hurt
To stop the groaning

Groaning
Longing
Frustrated by the wait
How long O Lord!?
Need to feel You now
To know Your presence
Relief, please!
Running, hiding in a cathedral
Swallowing the opiate of religion
For a moment of bliss
Away from reality
To numb the groaning

But You keep us groaning
Move us by longing
Keep us frustrated
I can’t wait any longer Lord!
Embracing the ache
Trying to bring relief
Running to the hurt,
Staring into the eyes of pain
Suddenly You break through
Your eyes staring back at me
I find You
Healing Hope
In the pain

In the groaning

Worship should not serve as an opiate that numbs us to the pain of this world. Worship, should instead tune us to the sound of God's heart and should send us out into the world to be healing hope.

No comments: