Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost: The Pearl of Great Value

Sunday's Lectionary Passages

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46 (NRSV)

The Apostle Paul experienced this wisdom of Jesus first hand. In his letter to the Philippians, he rattles off a list of all the things that he used to treasure; his race, culture, religion, status and accomplishments. This passage echoes the above parable.

4 even though I, too, have reason for confidence in the flesh. If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. 7 Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. 8 More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.
Philippians 3: 4-8 (NRSV)

As we prepare for worship this Sunday, let's reflect on what we treasure. Let's not just reflect on the obvious things that may interfere with our intimacy with Christ, but also on those things that are much more subtle. Examine the things that are good in your life, the things that we might even consider godly, and even our desires to minister and serve. Why do we treasure these things? Is what we truly treasure of eternal value? All other treasures will turn out to be fools gold and will disappoint and leave us empty in the long run.

May our times of worship, both corporate and personal, be times where we come to know more deeply the true pearl of great value and as a result be willing to let go of all else.

The song Lay It Down by Matt Maher is a good reflection on this subject. The lyrics are below.

Verse 1
Ev'rything I am
Ev'rything I long to be
I lay it down at Your feet

Chorus 1
I lay it down
I lay it down
I lay it down at Your feet

(BRIDGE)
Oh pearl of greatest price
No act of sacrifice
Can match the gift of life
I find within Your gaze
Oh what a sweet exchange
I die to rise again
Lifted up from the grave
Into Your hands of grace

Chorus 2
I lay it down
Lay it down
Lay it down at Your feet

No comments: